On 6 Feb 2009, at 10:12, Paolo Losi wrote:

Henning Thielemann wrote:

4) hg commit -m "message"
this commits my changes locally. I always do this before pulling since
then I'm sure my changes are saved in the case a merge goes wrong.
In old darcs its precisely the other way round. Since it is so slow on
merging ready patches, you better merge uncrecorded changes.

IMO pulling & merging before commit is a good practise also for hg:
it avoids a (very often useless) merge commit in the history.

I don't understand this view. Isn't the point of a commit that you flag working points. In each branch, before you merge (hopefully) you have a working repository, so flag it as such, and commit. When you merge, you may or may not have a working repository, fix it until it is, and merge.

I would never do a merge without the two branches I was merging having a commit just before the merge.

Bob