I just found out about GHood through this thread, and since it impressed me very much to see something so cool, I feel bad making this comment... but I am always disturbed by the flickering effect produced by java applets in my browser (FF 3.0) while scrolling. From an implementation standpoint this is obviously a nitpick, but from a designer standpoint it nearly single-handedly kills any prospect of my putting it up on a page.

With that said, I think the canvas+js idea is a wonderful alternative to proprietary Flash.

Regards,
Duane Johnson