On 06/05/2009 21:18, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
Hello FFT,

I've heard it's hard to contain a long-running Haskell application in
a finite amount of memory

not exactly. you may alloc fixed pool of memory to application (say, 1gb)
if you know that it never need more memory. but as far as you don't do
it, memory usage grows with each major GC. ghc just don't provide
any way to return memory to OS (there is a ticket on it, you can add
yourself to CC list to vote for its resolution)

But let's be clear: this is not a memory leak, the issue is only that GHC's runtime retains as much memory as was required by the program's high-water-mark memory usage. Fixing this will never reduce the high-water-mark. So I'm not sure what you meant by "memory usage grows with each major GC".

Cheers,
        Simon