On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

I've thought for a while that it would be very nice indeed if the Monoid class
had a more
concise operator for infix appending than "a `mappend` b". I wonder if other
people are of a
similar opinion, and if so, whether this is worth submitting a libraries@
proposal over.

We have the package version policy which relies on explicit or qualified imports, such that adding a function like (++) to Data.Monoid cannot harm any package that follow that policy. Thus I vote for not introducing a new operator, in order to keep the set of infix operators to memorize small, but use (++) for the generalized (List.++) aka mappend. The user would however need to hide (++) from Prelude.