Hopefully the line endings come out okay this week, I did a test before sending it to the list, please let me know if you notice anything awry. Just put a [HWN] in the subject line so my filter's will catch it. </metaeditorial>

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20090918
Issue 131 - September 18, 2009
Welcome to issue 131 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
   [1]Haskell community.

   Last week, I received an email from Mark Wotton about his project
   [2]Hubris. I totally forgot to put it in the HWN last week, too busy
   trying to figure out all the tools. So, I thought I'd make it up and
   give him some special editorial status this week. Hubris is a bridge
between Ruby and Haskell, allowing you to call Haskell from Ruby. It's very cool, I highly suggest playing with it. Also, I've been posting a
   bit about the new HWN tools (dubbed "HWN2") on my [3]blog, there is
also a repo up at [4]patch-tag which will have all the code. If there
   is some interest in helping me, I'll try to come up with a TODO
   list/Trac.

Announcements

   hssqlppp, sql parser and type checker, pre-alpha. Jake Wheat
   [5]announced his parser/type checker for SQL. It currently parses a
subset of PostGreSQL and PL/pgSQL, and can type check some statements.

   LambdaINet-0.1.0, Graphical Interaction Net Evaluator for Optimal
   Evaluation. Paul L [6]announced a LambdaINet 0.1.0, available on
   [7]Hackage. LambdaINet implements an interaction net based optimal
evaluator. With an interactive graphical interface allowing the user to
   view and directly manipulate the interaction net.

arbtt-0.1. Joachim Breitner [8]announced the Automatic Rule-Based Time
   Tracking tool on hackage. he has an introduction available [9]here.

A statistics library. Bryan O'Sullivan [10]announced the imaginatively
   named [11]statistics library. Which supports common discrete and
   continuous probability distributions, Kernel density estimation,
   Auto-correlation analysis, Functions over sample data, Quantile
   estimation, and Re-sampling techniques.

CFP: JSC Special Issue on Automated Verification and Specification of Web Systems. [12]A Special Issue of the Journal of symbolic computation
   was announced. This issue is related to the topics of the Automated
Specification and Verification of Web Systems Workshop (WWV'09). Read
   the announcement for more details.

Haskeline 0.6.2. Judah Jacobson [13]announced the release of Haskeline 0.6.2, available [14]here. Improvements over the last version include, new emacs and vi bindings, a new preference to remove repeated history
   entries, recognition of page-up and page-down keys, and more.

   PEPM'10 - Last CFP (Submission: 6 Oct 09, Notification: 29 Oct 09).
Janis Voigtlaender [15]announced the Last Call for Papers for PEPM'10,
   see the announcement for more details.

   Videos of HIW 2009. Malcolm Wallace [16]announced videos of all the
presentations/discussions at the recent Haskell Implementers Workshop
   2009, in Edinburgh, are now [17]online. The program of talks is
   available [18]here.

   Unification in a Commutative Monoid (cmu 1.1) and a new release of
   Abelian group unification and matching (agum 2.2). John D. Ramsdell
   [19]announced cmu 1.1, which provides unification in a commutative
   monoid, also know as ACU-unification. The core computation finds the
minimal non-zero solutions to homogeneous linear Diophantine equations.
   The linear equation solver has been place in a separate module so it
can be used for other applications. He also announced agum 2.2, which
   provides unification and matching in an Abelian group, also know as
   AG-unification and matching.

   graphviz-2999.5.1.0. Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [20]announced a bug-fix
   release of the GraphViz package, no major API changes occurred.

   levmar-0.2, bindings-levmar-0.1.1. Bas van Dijk and Roel van Dijk
   announced [21]new [22]versions of the levmar and bindings-levmar
   packages. New features include automatic calculation of the Jacobian
   via Conal Elliot's automatic differentiation from his vector-space
   library.

   CmdArgs - easy command line argument processing. Neil Mitchell
   [23]announced CmdArgs 0.1. CmdArgs is a library for parsing
   command-line arguments. It offers several improvements over GetOpts,
   namely that the Command Line Argument Processors are shorter and
CmdArgs can support multiple-mode command lines such as those found in
   darcs, cabal, hpc, etc.

   OpenGL 2.4.0.1. Sven Panne [24]announced a new version of the OpenGL
package, this version fixes a bug that didn't make it into the previous
   release.

   OpenGLRaw 1.1.0.0. Sven Panne [25]announced a new version of the
   OpenGLRaw package has been uploaded to Hackage.

Discussion

   Thank you guys. Cristiano Paris took some time to thank us all from
   -Cafe for helping him learn Haskell. You're welcome, Cristiano!

   Unicode lexing in GHC and GHCi. Sean McLaughlin [26]asked about why
   certain unicode characters parsed in GHCi without error, but not in
   compiled code.

   Help with FFI. Jose Prous [27]asked for some help with the foreign
   function interface.

Ambiguous type variable with subclass instance. Andy Gimblett [28]asked
   about a particular ambiguous type error

   Haskell -> .NET. Peter Verswyvelen [29]asked about the possibilities
   for a .NET version of Haskell.

   A thought about liberating Haskell's syntax. George Pollard
   [30]suggested a new way to do templates, so that brace-like syntax
   could be added without having to seriously hack GHC.

Blog noise

[31]Haskell news from the [32]blogosphere. Blog posts from people new to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome them!
     * Neil Brown: [33]Concurrent Pearl: The Sort Pump.
     * Roman Cheplyaka: [34]CCC #6: HWN. A comic revealing the _real_
       reason Brent left the HWN to me.
* Don Stewart (dons): [35]Data.Binary: performance improvements for
       Haskell binary parsing.
     * Thomas M. DuBuisson: [36]Kernel Modules in Haskell.
     * Neil Brown: [37]Boids Simulation: Part 4.
     * Edward Kmett: [38]Iteratees, Parsec, and Monoids, Oh My!.
     * Edward Kmett: [39]Remodeling Precision.
* Alex McLean: [40]Hackpact documentation (week 3). The continuation
       of Alex's series on Hackpact
     * Luke Palmer: [41]IO-free splittable supply.
     * Thomas M. DuBuisson: [42]Kernel Modules in Haskell.
     * Bryan O'Sullivan: [43]A video demo of my Haskell benchmarking
       framework.
     * Don Stewart (dons): [44]Haskell for Everyone: Hackage and the
       Haskell Platform : Haskell Implementers Workshop 2009.
     * David Sankel: [45]Applied Functional Programming: Part 1.
     * Neil Brown: [46]Boids Simulation: Part 4.
     * Darcs: [47]darcs weekly news #40.
     * Chris Smith: [48]On Inverses of Haskell Functions.
     * David Amos: [49]Finite geometries, part 1: AG(n,Fq). A multipart
       series from David, part of his Haskell For Maths project.

Quotes of the Week

     * quicksilver: no, you mispelt >> as ;
     * dons: Cale's my alter-ego. I talk about applications and
benchmarking, he talks about theory and math. We've been doing this
       for years :)
     * gwern: #haskell: because none of us are as offtopic as all of us
     * some-crazy-hwn-editor: A monster! HAH! It will not be a monster,
but a god! ALL SHALL BOW BEFORE MY SPAWN AND DESPAIR! ALL HAIL THE
       PROGRAMMER CHILD! ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD!
     * AlanJPerlis: Purely applicative languages are poorly applicable.

About the Haskell Weekly News

New editions are posted to [50]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [51]the Haskell Sequence and [52]Planet Haskell. [53]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [54]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
information on [55]how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett . at .
   gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [56]http://patch-tag.com/r/HWN2/home .