Well, keep in mind forkIO *might* be a different OS thread (unless it's bound, IIRC), depending on the number of workers (with -Nx) and so on.

-Ross

On Sep 23, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Günther Schmidt wrote:

Am 23.09.2009, 19:29 Uhr, schrieb Duncan Coutts <duncan.cou...@worc.ox.ac.uk >:

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 17:08 -0400, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

On Sep 22, 2009, at 11:31 , Günther Schmidt wrote:
> Gtk2hs then complains about running in a multithreaded ghc, ie. one
> with several "real" OS threads. Is it possible to start runghc
> single-threaded?

No, but you can unsafeInitGUIForThreadedRTS.

If you observe the foot-shooting restrictions (of which the easiest is
to not use forkIO).

Duncan

And exactly herein lies the problem :)

I've seen your response to the recent post about gui state, in which you mention your own prefered solution to the problem, ie. that you "post" your state to a channel which is read in a thread.

I'm doing the same thing, but I'm also "calling" gui code from within that thread. I figured since the thread itself isn't a separate OS thread it shouldn't be a problem.

It seems to work once the app is compiled, but running the code in either ghci or with runghc it crashes.

Günther