Random question of the day: How many developers are working on GHC?

I had always *assumed* that there was something like a hundred core developers, with a much larger number of people casually testing and occasionally submitting the odd patch or two.

However, I watched a video of a talk the other day (no, I don't remember which one) and it made me reconsider this view. Somebody muttered something like "GHC is really too big now for just 3 developers to manage", which makes it sound as if there are only 3 active developers... Surely that can't be correct. (There would never be any releases, for one thing...)

Does anybody know anything concrete about this?