This worked for me, though that was quite a while ago. Presumably it still works. I don't remember doing any magic, just using the Maemo cross-compiler to build the output of jhc.

The only annoying part was having to build with jhc outside the scratchbox environment and then build the C output inside the scratchbox. This is necessary because jhc is not self-hosting and I couldn't get GHC to build for Maemo.

The attempts to build GHC (back in the 6.8.2 days -- supposed cross-platform bootstrapping works again in 6.12, maybe it'll work now) and the success with JHC are documented at [1]. Actually, I just looked and Dustin Weese succeeded where I had failed, and got an unregisterized 6.8 to bootstrap to Maemo.

I've since learned ARM(v4) assembly for an embedded systems course, I might look into writing a properly registerized ARM back-end for GHC 6.12, now that the back-end overhaul is complete. That's definitely a Copious Free Time project, since I don't intend to be doing any ARM dev in Haskell or otherwise.

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ArmLinuxGhc

Gour wrote: