Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
| What's the status of the TDNR proposal [1]? It's stalled. As far as I know, there's been very little discussion about it. It's not a trivial thing to implement, and it treads on delicate territory (how "." is treated).
Having skimmed the page, it seems like the re-use of "." is one of the major difficulties of the proposal. Would it be possible to use "->"? It has been used for accessing members in C and C++, so it is not too unusual a choice. It is already special in Haskell so it wouldn't break anyone's code -- but do its other uses (case statements and lambdas) mean that it would cause problems in the grammar if re-used for TDNR?

Neil.