David Sankel wrote:
After reading several recent papers I came to the understanding that
there isn't consensus on the name of Applicative Functors. Several
prefer to call them idioms:

"'Idiom' was the name McBride originally chose, but he and Paterson
now favour the less evocative term `applicative functor'. We have a
slight preference for the former, not least because it lends itself
nicely to adjectival uses, as in `idiomatic traversal'"[1]

I also noticed use of the term Idiom in [2], [3], and [4].

I much prefer the name Applicative Functor, because 'idiom' and especially 'idiomatic' can mean lots of other things (just look up the word in a dictionary!). While an applicative functor is always a functor with 'pure' and 'ap' operations.

> I'm writing a set of classes that includes AF's and I'm trying to
> decide whether to call the class Idiom. Anyone have more information
> on this question?

Why are you writing your own? How do your classes differ from the standard Control.Applicative?

Twan