code.h.o and community.h.o have rather flaky hosting, and have been
going down often recently.

Yes, we know that code/community.h.o can be somewhat flaky. However, it does claim to have been up continuously for the last 79 days. I suspect it is that (a) the service daemons occasionally die for no obvious reason, or (b) some users are running processes that sometimes hog the CPU, memory, or network bandwidth.

They have hardware problems - dying HDs and such.

No, that is a different machine: hackage/darcs.h.o. A new server is on order, but we do not yet have a delivery date.

Regards,
    Malcolm