Marc Weber <marco-owe...@gmx.de> wrote:
Hackage is missing one feature:
It is very static. I mean if you have a patch or a question or a comment
you have to lookup the darcs repository, write the patch then contact
the author and wait.. If the author replies everything is fine.
If he doesn't you don't know what to do. And if he does your commitment
still doesn't show up on hackage.

Using a wiki page for each project enables anybody to add comments.[...]

Because of Duncan's concerns about imposing too much burden on authors, and because there are many mature projects which already have wikis etc, I have a counter-proposal.

We already have community.haskell.org for authors to host their webpages and Darcs repos. And apparently they offer Trac and MailMan since last I checked. It seems to me that the proper place to offer services like wikis (Trac has one) and task trackers (Trac has one of those too) is through the community.haskell.org server. These services are essential for project maintinence, but Hackage doesn't seem like the right place for adding them. Rather than giving Hackage wikis, perhaps it would be better to point more people towards community.haskell.org and maybe increase the options offered there (in case people dislike Trac).

One simple improvement to Hackage which would be nice and which would integrate well with community.haskell.org is if there were additional (optional) fields added to give urls for the wiki and task tracker separately from the main project homepage. Naturally, the homepage should have links to the wiki and tracker as well, but having direct links from Hackage would lower the cost for users to find out where they can post patches, comments, etc.

--
Live well,
~wren