On 27 Jan 2010, at 22:02, Daniel Fischer <daniel.is.fisc...@web.de> wrote:

Am Mittwoch 27 Januar 2010 22:50:35 schrieb Conor McBride:

It has been known to call such things 'computations', as opposed to
'values', and even to separate the categories of types and expressions
which deliver the two.

As usual, that only works part of the time. [1,4,15,3,7] is not a
computation, it's a list of numbers. A plain and simple everyday value.

Yes, the separation is not clear in Haskell. (I consider this unfortunate.) I was thinking of Paul Levy's call-by-push-value calculus, where the distinction is clear, but perhaps not as fluid as one might like.

Int list values and nondeterministic int computations are conceptually different, even if they have isomorphic representations. Identifying their types has its downsides.

Cheers

Conor