Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
2010/3/23 Iustin Pop <iu...@k1024.org <mailto:iu...@k1024.org>>

    I agree with the principle of correctness, but let's be honest - it's
    (many) orders of magnitude between ByteString and String and Text, not
    just a few percentage points…

Well, your benchmarks are highly suspect. See below.
    Data.ByteString.Lazy.UTF8 (system readFile + fromString + length) - 11
    seconds, correct length.

You should be using bytestring I/O for this.
    Data.Text.Lazy (system readFile + pack + length) - 26s, correct
    length.

You should be using text I/O for this.
This is certainly true but adds some unfortunate bloat and has the taste of Java libraries, which define a plethora of similar, but not interchangeable methods due to legacy.