Dear Christopher,

Am 28.03.10 18:11, schrieb Christopher Lane Hinson:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, G?nther Schmidt wrote

"display themselves on demand" is putting it rather harshly don't you think?

No. The women in our community are not required to come forth as witnesses on what it's like to be women in our community. They most likely do not want to be under a magnifying glass, do not want to be exposed to harrasment, and would not actually be qualified to personally represent all other women in the community. They do not want to be held up as community ornaments.

I wish to clarify here: I don't recall writing in my initial email "Female Haskellers I demand you identify yourselves". So I took offense on the suggestion I did so.

If you're wondering how I know what women in our community want -- I don't. I'm just paraphrasing things that women in this situation have repeatedly said, and yet, somehow, gone unheard.

Do not worry, I wasn't.

It was probably also uncool to call out a specific woman by name, who did not volunteer for this.

Do suggest I did so? I don't recall mentioning anyone by name.

    #

I think we have some work to do to make the haskell community inclusive.

Possibly so, but until now I have no indication that it's not, could you elaborate where you see a problem? Also I personally don't do "community" thingies, I'm just not that kind of person. I'm not sure about "haskell-community". I mean I like haskell, am interested in it, appreciate being in contact with people who do likewise but "community"? I don't remember signing up or pledging allegiance.

One thing that I keep hearing is "I'm not trying to be offensive." I think it's easy to get caught up on "not being offensive" so that we don't make any progress. It's impossible not to offend people -- but it is possible to take the time to listen and correct problematic behavior and communicate what you've learned to others.
One thing I do notice, one starts with a harmless question and it out of the blue it suddenly becomes political. In both ways. Is there really a need for this?

Best regards

Günther