Jon Fairbairn wrote:
Another (provocative) observation is that most of the women
programmers I've known were good at it and thought they might
not be, but most of the men claimed to be good at it but
were not.

I've observed this too, but it's a bit droll. Let:

    p = proportion of people who think they're good but aren't
    q = proportion who think they're not good but are
    M = number of men in CS
    W = number of women in CS

Given that M >> W, we'll naturally find that p*M > q*W if p and q are even remotely comparable, regardless of whether p and q are independent of gender or not.

--
Live well,
~wren