> From: Roman Leshchinskiy <r...@cse.unsw.edu.au>
>
> On 31/03/2010, at 18:14, Achim Schneider wrote:
>
>> We have a lot of useful interfaces (e.g. ListLike, Edison), but they
>> don't seem to enjoy wide-spread popularity.
>
> Perhaps that's an indication that we need different interfaces? IMO, huge
> classes which generalise every useful function we can think of just isn't the
> right approach. We need small interfaces between containers and algorithms.
> In fact, the situation is perhaps somewhat similar to C++ where by providing
> exactly that the STL has been able to replace OO-style collection libraries
> which never really worked all that well.

Agreed.  There should be a hierarchy with multiple interfaces, e.g.
Collection, List, Map, Set, etc.  I can't speak for Edison, but
ListLike only implements the List, and doesn't provide an appropriate
base class.  I also agree that the STL (as well as the generic
collections in C#/ASP.Net) seem to take the best approach here.

That being said, I also agree with Darryn Reid that Data.HashTable
could use some work as a higher priority.

John