On May 9, 2010, at 06:53 , Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
Stephen Tetley <stephen.tet...@gmail.com> writes:
On 9 May 2010 11:42, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljeno...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you want to parse a stream, you don't want Parsec ___ as it
isn't an online parser - online meaning 'streaming' i.e. it can
produce some results during the 'work' rather than a single result at
the end.

I thought this was one of the new features in Parsec-3...

Possibly?

If so, maybe the authors ought to mention it in the cabal.file /
package description. I know it can use bytestrings which have
efficiency advantages over String, but that doesn't make it online.

Well, RWH talks about Parsecs' "input stream", so maybe I'm just
confusing the terms: http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/using-parsec.html

Hm. I'd understand that as referring to the fact that Parsec 3 can use arbitrary input types instead of [Char], not to streams as in stream fusion or lazy processing.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allb...@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allb...@ece.cmu.edu