erik flister wrote:
ties are a presentation-level issue, the underlying (sound) representation is a single note. i suggest

Doc = [Note]

where Notes have fields for their measure location and duration. then there's no issue with overlapping notes, and start/end times are easy to calculate. ties can be calculated easily later for graphical layout by asking if durations overlap given boundaries (usually measure boundaries, but also measure centers).

Hi erik,
I will look at your EDSL. However, I am dealing with ties because I am converting a MusicXML document into a more natural form for my purposes. The initial form of the document will have tied notes (as it comes that way from MusicXML), and I want to convert that into a form that makes it possible to ignore ties and see notes as having a single duration.

Thanks,
Mike