I've been using Takusen for all of my database needs, which most of the time means interfacing to a PostgreSQL database, and it has worked out pretty well in practice. In fact, I experimented with hsql and HDBC a while back and for some reason I can't remember they turned out to be less convenient than Takusen so I changed the code I was working on back over to Takusen.

Cheers,
Greg