On 14 July 2010 22:37, Andrew Coppin <andrewcop...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> (The small problem with the approach above, of course, is that as soon as
> the function wants to do comparisons or take flow control decisions, you've
> got trouble. It's not impossible to solve, but it *is* a lot of work...)

Hi Andrew

You could try pairing both the Dye representation and a genuinely
numeric one in the same type. Kansas Lava - a embedded hardware
description language - uses this technique to be able to both
interpret signals and generate them.

There is a new paper describing Kansas Lava here:
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/csdl/fpg/biblio
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/csdl/fpg/sites/default/files/kansas-lava-ifl09.pdf

I think Antony Courtney was also using a dual representation in the
graphics program Haven - shallow so it could use normal function
mechanism to calculate "point in polygon" and deep so it could build
interfaces across the JNI bridge in Java.

Best wishes

Stephen