On 18 July 2010 21:23, Andrew Coppin <andrewcop...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> As somebody who occasionally releases (admittedly useless) packages on
> Hackage, it's really quite irritating that there isn't an easy way to say
> what changed.
>
> (As for scanning a repo to find changes, that's very low-level, you'd need a
> backend for every possible version control system, and for those people who
> don't even use source control, it's not going to work at all. Not to mention
> people who use source control, but don't have anywhere to put a repo
> online...)

Hi Andrew

I'll look to adding textual diff to my Cabal diff tool - Precis.

Currently it parses the modules in a package and compares metrics on
the source files between project revisions to identify semantic
changes.

Unfortunately the results are often very poor in practice - for the
QuickCheck revisions that Don posted above it didn't generate any
differences. Though lower tech, textual diffs might actually be better
than semantic ones with false negatives.