Nicolas,

> OK, I better understand now where we disagree. You want to see in the type
> whether or not the free theorem apply, I want them to always apply when
> no call to unsafe function is made.

Implementing your suggestion would make me feel uncomfortable. Turning seq into
an unsafe operations effectively places it outside the language, like
unsafePerformIO isn't really part of the language (in my view, at least). But
experience has made it clear that there are plenty of occasions in which we
cannot really do without seq (even though its presence in the language is
prominent subject of debate).

Cheers,

  Stefan