On 11/7/10 11:54 AM, Henning Thielemann wrote:
Awful - I would not like to complicate my Cabal files this way. This is
like copying the Build-Depends enumeration to all depending packages.

Oh, I agree :)

I wonder if you can include ghc in the build-tools: field and whether cabal-install bases its decisions on that field...

Another option might be to have users set the preference: field in ~/.cabal/config. Though that requires user action again...

Why is the package ghc version specific anyways? Is it just a language extension thing?

Does the LanguageExtensions field prevent building a package, if the
installed compiler cannot handle that? I'm afraid, LanguageExtensions is
just a list of flags that is passed to GHC. But it sounds like a good
idea, if Cabal would also check, whether the used compiler supports the
required LanguageExtensions at all.

If you just wanted to ensure that things don't build on the wrong version, then you could always use a custom Setup.hs and use CPP to choose between exitSuccess and exitFailure somewhere along the way.

--
Live well,
~wren