Yves Parès wrote:
 takeC :: Int -> Compoz a b -> (exists c. Compoz a c)
 dropC :: Int -> Compoz a b -> (exists c. Compoz c b)

What does 'exists' means? To create a rank-2 type can't you use:

takeC :: Int -> Compoz a b -> (forall c. Compoz a c)

??

Ah, (exists c. Compoz a c) means "There exists a type c such that the whole thing has type Compoz a c ".

What you describe would be the type "For any type c the whole thing can be treated as having type Compoz a c " which is something entirely different.

The point is that in the former version, the function takeC determines what the type c should be and the caller has no clue what it is. In the latter version, the function that calls takeC can choose which type it should be.

What I wrote is *not* legal Haskell. (At least not in GHC. If I remember correctly, the EHC from Utrecht supports first-class existential quantification ). You have to encode it in some way, for instance with a data type

   data Exists f = forall c . Exists (f c)
   takeC :: Int -> Compoz a b -> Exists (Compoz a)

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com