On 4/4/11 4:42 PM, Jason Dagit wrote:
Is this something people would be interested in having as an extension in
GHC?  Or is it just too fluffy for anyone to really care?

I'd much rather have _ on the RHS of equations be a way of specifying terms that the compiler should infer. This is pretty standard for dependently typed languages, and more closely mimics the behavior of _ on the LHS as a gensym-named pattern variable.

For Haskell we could perhaps use Djinn to infer the term and have compilation fail if there isn't a unique total function/value that can be inferred for the missing term.

--
Live well,
~wren