Le 26/03/2012 16:31, Chris Smith a écrit :
If you were
asking about why there is no ring on [a] that defines (+) = zipWith
(+), then here's why.  By that definition, you have [1,2,3] + [4,5] =
[5,7].  But also [1,2,42] + [4,5] = [5,7].  Addition by [4,5] is not
one-to-one, so [4,5] cannot be invertible.
So, * the addition* is not invertible, why did you introduce rings to this discussion, if the additive group within is already lousy?... OK I see now. You are only interested in the explicitly ambiguous usage of the element-wise addition which terminates at the shortest term... But I don't care about using (+) = zipWith (+) "anywhere", outside of a programming model / framework, where you keep the sanity of your data. In my programs I KNEW that the length of the list is either fixed, or of some minimal size (or infinite). Your [4,5] simply does not belong to MY rings, if I decided to keep the other one.

Jerzy K.