On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Ben Millwood wrote:

But I never liked using CPP: it completely defeats haskell-src-exts
and hence things like SourceGraph, and anyway it's not designed for
Haskell and doesn't at all understand its structure, or fit with its
syntax. With a little thought, I wondered if creative use of template
haskell might not achieve the same goal. It turned out it did, and
emboldened with this knowledge I set out to write a new package making
this technique available to others.

I never liked CPP in Haskell, too. The problem is: I also do not like Template Haskell. :-) Whereever possible I use a Cabal flag and a conditional Hs-Source-Dirs.

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Cabal/Developer-FAQ#Adapt_to_different_systems_without_CPP