On Apr 26, 2012, at 12:54 AM, Stefan Holdermans wrote:

> Sjoerd,
>
> I am sorry, as I already wrote, I decided to deprecate the package.

That's too bad, I really love these kind of data structures. (That's why I keep
ranting about it, sorry about that.)

>> [3] defines the union as h(u) = max(f(u), g(u)) where f, g and h are
>> multiplicity functions.
>
> Which is the same, as [3] is about multisets, not signed multisets.

Chapter 3 of [3] is about Hybrid Sets.

>> [...] and this is also what your implementation does. (Map.unionWith max
>> does not do a max if the key is not in one of the maps, i.e. if one of the
>> multiplicities is 0.)
>
> I am aware of that. Why are you explaining this?

Because we can't seem to get to an agreement. Usually this is because of a
misunderstanding, so I try be as clear as possible, so you can understand my
position, or point out my mistake.

>> I think if your union would follow the definition with max as in [3] and [4]
>> it is not confusing. But then empty would not be the identity of that union
>> (that would be the signed multiset with multiplicity negative infinity for
>> all elements), so it would still not be a good choice for the Monoid
>> instance.
>
> Let's agree to disagree. This is not constructive and, moreover, going
> nowhere.

I'd prefer to keep arguing actually. ;-) But if you have something better to
do, I won't bother you anymore.

greetings,
Sjoerd