Hi Michael,

Michael D. Adams wrote:
I am looking for background material on how GHC and other Haskell
compilers implement the layout rule.

In the context of our work on syntactic extensibility, we have implemented a declarative and extensible mechanism to specify and implement layout rules. A paper about the approach is currently under review, and a draft is available [1]. The implementation and evaluation data is available [2].

 [1] http://sugarj.org/layout-parsing.pdf
 [2] http://github.com/seba--/layout-parsing

We used our parser in the implementation of SugarHaskell, a syntactically extensible variant of Haskell. A paper about SugarHaskell is currently under review, and again, a draft is available [3]. The implementation can be installed as an Eclipse plugin from the SugarJ website [4]. A command-line version is forthcoming.

 [3] http://sugarj.org/sugarhaskell.pdf
 [4] http://sugarj.org/

Best Regards,

 Tillmann (on behalf of the SugarJ team)