Simon Marlow wrote:
there's a lack of modularity in the current
design, such that renaming the root of a module hierarchy requires
editing every single source file in the hierarchy.  The only good reason
for this is the separation between language and implementation.

I don't see how this is related to implementation. Surely all the language spec has to say is that the implementation has some unspecified way of finding the code for a module given only its canonical name, along with (if desired) a way of expanding a glob to a list of canonical names. Then the module namespace reform boils down to rules for converting partial names into canonical names. I can't see how any useful functionality in the module system could depend on a particular way of organizing code on disk.

-- Ben