On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:57 AM, Simon Marlow <simon...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Remember that FilePath is not part of the debate, since neither [Char] nor
> Text are correct representations of FilePath.

Yes.

> If we want to do an evaluation of the pedagogical value of [Char] vs. Text, I
> suggest writing something like a regex matcher in both and comparing the two.

> One more thing: historically, performance considerations have been given a
> fairly low priority in the language design process for Haskell, and rightly
> so.  That doesn't mean performance has been ignored altogether (for example,
> seq), but it is almost never the case that a concession in other language
> design principles (e.g. consistency, simplicity) is made for performance
> reasons alone.  We should remember, when thinking about changes to Haskell,
> that Haskell is the way it is because of this uncompromising attitude, and we
> should be glad that Haskell is not burdened with (many) legacy warts that
> were invented to work around performance problems that no longer exist.  I'm
> not saying that this means we should ignore Text as a performance hack, just
> that performance should not come at the expense of good language design.

For pedagogical purposes (which seems to be the primary argument for
String = [Char]), I am far less concerned about performance than
correctness.

After going through the discussion this morning again, looking at
various arguments, I am not really sure that Haskell isn't burdened
with legacy warts ;-)

-- Gaby