>       | Which leads me to one final comment. Does the Report say anywhere that
>       | an overflow gives rise to an undefined result?
>
>       Yes it does (though you may not like the answer!).  See Section 6.8.1, p56.
>
>       Simon

The relevant sentence states:

"The results of exception conditions (such as overflow or underflow) on
the fixed-precision numeric types are undefined; and implementations
may choose error (bottom, semantically), a truncated value, or a special
value such as infinity, indefinite, etc"

Surely this is unacceptable?  It is unavoidable that a program
might run on one implementation and fail on another, but is it not
a basic principle of the language that two implementations
will deliver identical results if they deliver results at all?

Ian