I have written a Haskell library that enables you to write network
servers in Haskell, using the RPC (Remote Procedure Call) protocol.
Currently, the library works under HBC only (it uses the Native class).

Servers written with the RPCServer library are run through the inetd(8C)
daemon.  All it takes to write a Haskell server is to implement functions
that get their arguments and return their value through a XDR (eXternal
Data Representation) layer.

The primary motivation for writing this library was to make Haskell
programs able to communicate with C programs and exchange complex data
structures with them. As a side effect, the library brings the power of
client-server capabilities to the Haskell world.

Only some basic acquaintance with RPC and XDR is required for using the
library.

The RPCServer library is currently used at our organization in the development
of an application involving code written in C++, Smalltalk and Haskell.
Programs written in these languages communicate through RPC.

I've put the library on ftp.cs.chalmers.se (/pub/haskell/incoming/RPC.tar.Z).

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

                       Andre BLAVIER
                      Departement R&D
Informatique CDC               E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
113 rue Jean Marin Naudin      Tel: (+33) (1) 46 63 92 97
92220 Bagneux - France         Fax: (+33) (1) 46 63 98 85