Let me reiterate:

                Unicode is ***NOT*** a glyph encoding!

and never will be.  The same character can be displayed as
a variety of glyphs, depending not only of the font/style,
but also, and this is the important point, on the characters
surrounding a particular instance of the character.  Also,
a sequence of characters can be displayed as a single glyph,
and a character can be displayed as a sequence of glyphs.
Which will be the case, is often font dependent.

        This is not something unique to Unicode.  It is
just that most people are used to ASCII, Latin-1 and similar,
where the distinction between characters and glyphs is
blurred.

                I would be interested in knowing why you think
        "the idea of it as a character encoding thoroughly
        breaks down in a mathematical context".  Deciding
        what gets encoded as a character is more an
        international social process than a mathematical
        process...

                /kent k

PS This may be getting too much into Unicode
to fit for the Haskell list...  In particular any argumentation
regarding the last paragraph above should *not* be sent to
the Haskell list, but could be sent to me personally.

PPS I don't know what you mean by "semantics of glyphs".