On Tue, 12 May 1998, Koen Claessen wrote:

> Frank A. Christoph wrote:
>
>  | With regard to merging Either instances, I agree with Simon that for most
>  | programs this will not buy you much, but there are two common kinds of
>  | programs where one could expect a significant effect on performance, just
>  | because of sheer scale.
>
> It is not only Either instances who suffer from this. Consider the
> following definition of "map", which could be made by a naive user:
>
>   map :: (a -> b) -> [a] -> [b]
>   map f (x:xs) = f x : map f xs
>   map f xs     = xs
>
> Same problem here.

Where is the CSE in theis def of map? Why is it naive? (Hugs & ghc define
map on lists exactly like that.) Maybe I'm naive...

-- m

Mariano Suarez Alvarez                              The introduction of
Departamento de Matematica                       numbers as coordinates
Universidad Nacional de Rosario             [...] is an act of violence
Pellegrini 250                                                  A. Weyl
2000 Rosario - Argentina
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]