At 01:09 +1000 98/06/11, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>There's little point trying to implement C++-like so-called "zero-overhead"
>exceptions in any language with garbage collection.  It would
>probably result in a performance loss.

  This is good indeed.

  But I think the C++ exceptions have another advantage, namely that it
stops further computations and skips directly forward to the first point
where the exception is caught. Java, which has garbage collection, probably
does the same as in C++, but when using the monadic approach in Haskell it
does not work so: The code excepted propagates through a series of identity
mappings in the exception monad, which is slow.

  So the real problem is if one can implement an exception monad in Haskell
which does not propagate through the code (i.e. skips forward directly to
the point where the exception is caught).

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>