> I think you're missing the point.  Omitting the precedence digit is
> important because it allows the programmer to avoid making a decision
> about something he doesn't really care about.  Most of the time,
> you're not interested in the relative precedence of `thenP` vs. (+),
> since it doesn't make any sense to mix them.
>
> If you really *want* a precedence of 9 (or whatever the default is),
> one would never dream of leaving it out of the declaration.
>
> ObStandardHaskellProposal: relax the restriction on precedences being
> in the range 0-9.  Change the precedences of the Prelude operators
> from n to n*100.

A minor variation of which is to allow floating point numbers instead
so that you can always squeeze a new operator in between two existing
ones.

And a major variation (which gets to the root of your response) is
to replace the total order with a partial order.  I think Lennart
Augustsson suggested this a long time ago - are you there Lennart?

--
Alastair Reid              Yale Haskell Project Hacker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://WWW.CS.Yale.EDU/homes/reid-alastair/