Hi Mark:

> Please don't blame Haskell for the Number library; it isn't part
> of any Haskell standard.

        I did not try blaming anyone or anyting. I was hoping
        to initiate some constructive flow of solutions. Thank
        you for your explanation. I had somehow anticipated your
        answer in relation to the name "number" - thinking that
        there must have been a good reason for chosing it.:-)

> So the first step was to detect overflow.  I never
> got around to the next step ... you might want to try it yourself,
> possibly incorporating complex numbers too.  In any case, that's
> why it was called "Number".

        I'd like to, but I do not want to repeat the effort
        of others. Maybe someone already has something advanced
        enough? I wish to hear from other people first.

        Jan