Alex Ferguson wrote:

> Now that Haskell 98 is a done deal (for good or for ill -- what on earth
> were people thinking of with 'isAlphaNum'?), can we hope that the committee
> will revisit the Monomorphism Restriction, and somewhat more seriously
> than it's done to date?

I totally agree that the monomorphism restriction has to be reconsidered
serilously. I have been using HBC for most of my Haskell programming, and
fortunately, HBC has a flag -fno-overload-restr to switch of the monomorphism
restriction, so I haven't needed to bother with it. Recently, I tried to
compile some stuff with GHC, and the most commonly occuring problem is of
course the monomorphism restriction! Reducing the monomorphism restriction to
a compiler warning is a solution I would be happy with, but perhaps there are
better solutions.

Some thoughts on this, and some other language design issues (existential
types, dependent types) written down about one year ago can be found in

    http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~hallgren/Thesis/haskell-comments.html

Thomas Hallgren