Frank A. Christoph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  writes

>> Sergey Mechveliani wrote:
>>
>> Adding *rules* to language would NOT cause scripting graphics via term
>> rewriting logic. I suppose, you know this.
>> If you do not set {rules..} in your program, you would never notice
>> they exist.

> Huh? Scripting graphics?

I understood David Barton's note as that he fears of `rules' feature
to force him to change the programming style, the style he applies for
programming graphic in Haskell.

I note that `rules' damages nothing. They make difference only to those
programmers that venture to set {rules..} in their program.

> As it stands, the rules extension does not sit well with Haskell's other
> features. (Compare this with Maude, where analogous mechanisms are
> intimately related to the foundations of the language.)

I am starting to love Maude.

> [..] but I feel Maude is less a programming language than it is an
> algebraic theorem prover---its programs are not necessarily confluent.

Maybe, join Haskell and Maude and be happy?  :-)
Can one think of programming in Haskell the Maude interpreter?

Sergey Mechveliani
[EMAIL PROTECTED]