Alex Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,

> Manuel Chakravarty and Olaf Chitil debate the fixity of ($):
>
> > > I think the idea behind $ is exactly the change of
> > > associativity.
> >
> > Hmm, I thought, the idea behind it is a change of precedence...
> >
> > > I use $ a lot to save a lot of brackets. I very much prefer
> > >
> > > f $ g $ h $ i $ j $ x

> > > f (g (h ( i ( j x))))
> > >
> > > and even to
> > >
> > > (f . g . h . i . j) x
> >
> > The latter is actually what I use in this case.
>
> Myself, I tend to use:
>
> f . g . h . i . j $ x

I like this form - I think, I'll use it from now on.

> So at least at first wink, I think I might concur that precedence
> is the more crucial...

I usually use `$' for things like

  assert <some predicate> "nasty error messsage" $
    foo fstArg sndArg

(for some assert :: Bool -> String -> a -> a) where it is
exactly the precedence of `$' which matters.

Thanks,

Manuel