-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Wansbrough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ted Carroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Mark P Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 23 August 1999 14:38
Subject: Re: Licenses and Libraries

>[..]
>> Ted C.
>>
>> P.S.  If somebody could explain Monads in plain english it might not
>> hurt either.
>
>Someone already has:
>
>http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~nww/Monad.html
>
>--KW 8-)

Yes, that text is not bad, but I think it still has a problem (one I found
in two or
three other introductory texts of monads): it stops right before getting
really interesting!
The examples are probably well thought out, but they are either just toy
stuff or they
are to special. There are so many questions still open: how to declare an
instance of
the 'Monad' class (for using 'do'-constructs) combined with a plain
state-monad, for example.
The standard-prelude doesn't really contain any good examples. 'IO' is too
abstract
to be of any use. Yes, I can figure all that out (and I do, with some work)
but most certainly
someone else already did that.

Don't get me wrong here: I think Haskell is the culmination of decades of
Programming-
Language reasearch, but, coming from the LISP direction, I really have
trouble to adapt to
the totally different terminology found in functional programming.
Everything just looks
so darn complicated - even if you are basically just doing the same thing:
CONS, APPLY,
and LAMBDA.

felix

P.S.: Can someone point me to a good book on functional programming ? One
which
doesn't bore you with trivialities, but comes right to the point and
explains everything
with real-world examples ? Just the one book specially written for a stupid
LISPer
with bad grades in mathematics, like me ? :-)