> The trickier part is putting different types into a heterogenous
> collection, and then manipulating according to their _individual_ types.

If we are already at this point, a naive question:

Assume we add the type of all types. Hence we can declare a
function, say from type to string, we can manipulate types and
so forth.
This would us allow to deal with this situation.
What is the danger, what would it break?

Ex.:

tuple_arity:: Type -> Maybe Int
tuple_arity () = Just 0
tuple_arity (a,b) = Just 1
tuple_arity [a] = Nothing

Of course we would have to add a huge amount
of predefined functions to work with types, but I guess most of them are
already defined in the compiler/interpreter sources.

Andreas
                        Andreas C. Doering
                        Medizinische Universitaet zu Luebeck
                        Institut fuer Technische Informatik
                        Ratzeburger Allee, Luebeck, Germany
                        Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                        Home: http://www.iti.mu-luebeck.de/~doering
"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of ... science" (Proverbs 1.7)