XML documents are trees, and processing them is graph traversal. This
paper might be of some theoretical help:

Functional Programming with Graphs, Martin Erwig. 2nd ACM SIGPLAN Int.
Conf. on Functional Programming (ICFP'97), 52-65, 1997 (also in: ACM
SIGPLAN Notices, Vol. 32,No. 8, Aug 1997, pp. 52-65)
  online at:

http://www.informatik.fernuni-hagen.de/import/pi4/erwig/papers/abstracts.html

The last line of the abstract reads:

 For example, depth-first-search expressed by a fold over a functional
 graph has the same complexity as the corresponding imperative algorithm.

John Atwood