On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 06:05:12PM +0100, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> There are variants of the BSD license, some with an advertising clause,
> some without.  E.g., UCB, the originators of the BSD license, have removed
> their need for an advertising clause.

I know.  The point was that the original BSD license included it, and
that's the most standard BSD license you've got.

> And I don't think it's evil.  Do you think that people who write code deserve
> at least that much credit?

Do you really think that every advertisement for a product that uses
someone's code must contain a notice that this is so?  This may be
practical, if only one or two such notices are required.  Consider a
product that includes code from a hundred different contributors, all
requiring a different advertisement clause; an ad for this product would
necessarily be several pages long, and most of it would be a list of
contributor names.  A simple banner ad would be illegal.

Yes, a code author deserves credit, but the advertisement clause is just
an impractical way of enforcing that.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html for a more elaborate
explanation of this problem.

--