Dear Jan Skibinski
I contacted Dr. Alcimar about your letter. He thought that it is fascinating.
He says that skepticism is the main driving force behind scientific progress.
He informed Dr. Gow, Dr.  Brash and Dr. Paschoarelli about your questions,
and asked one of his collaborators to prepare a list of publications
 to send to you. This will include internal reports (unpublished material).
In the mean time, he asked you to get more information about the mechanical
and electronic structure of the arm. The address is:

Laboratory of Reabilitation Engineering Services:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~respmr/intro.html

The description of the arm can be found at the following address:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~respmr/r&d.html

Dr. Alcimar told me that the arm is also described in a few papers and
magazines (like Daily News, Times, etc.) The article of the Daily News is
the longest, and can be found at the following address:

http://204.202.137.112/sections/living/DailyNews/bionicarm980825.html

Dr. Alcimar told me that this is the second generation arm. The third
generation
one, with lighter materials and the improved algorithm is ready. The new arm
is light enough to be used by a child. There is no published material on
it, but Dr. Alcimar will send you an internal report, and accepted papers.
As for the paper to the Journal of Functional Programming, he is sorry,
but he cannot send it to you, because it was not even submitted yet.
But yes, he can send you an internal report with a description of the
main algorithms (in Haskell, of course :) He can also send you files with
electromyographic signals, so you can test the stuff. He asks you to wait
the beginning of the next year, because he is very busy. He is preparing
papers for publications, one of his students is going to defend thesis
in December, and he is also in a commitee to teach science to young Children.

Yours Sincerelly

Ed. Costa

This e-mail has been sent to  you courtesy of OperaMail,  as a  free  service  from
Opera  Software,  makers  of the award-winning Web Browser, Opera. Visit us at
http://www.opera.com/ or our portal at: http://www.myopera.com/ Your free e-mail
account is waiting at: http://www.operamail.com/