Just a thought: Some compilers for other languages (e.g. Java and
Eiffel) warn the user about deprecated features, but continue
compilation. Given the current state of flux in the Haskell libraries,
this would be a nice thing in Haskell, too. So my suggestion is a new
pragma DEPRECATED along the following lines:

   * The module Char could contain (everyone who has ported an older
     program to H98 knows what I'm talking about :-) :

        {-# DEPRECATED isAlphanum: Use isAlphaNum instead #-}
        isAlphanum = isAlphaNum

   * Whole module can be deprecated, too, e.g. GHC's GlaExts:

        {-# DEPRECATED: Use IOExts instead #-}

Compilers/Interpreters should issue the message behind the colon when
such an identifier/module is (directly) used, continue their work.

Definitely not a candidate for the next Turing Award, but very helpful,
anyway...   Opinions?

Cheers,
   Sven
--
Sven Panne                                        Tel.: +49/89/2178-2235
LMU, Institut fuer Informatik                     FAX : +49/89/2178-2211