Sven Panne wrote:
> This
> is such a common pattern that there should be a nicer way to handle
> it apart from the usual unsafePerformIO-plus-noInline-trickery at
> the top level.
If you mean those implicit parameters someone mentioned a while back,
I'm 100% with you.  Global variables are BAD in this context; for example
I can't glue together two actions and run them with different languages.
(Unlikely I know but possible.)  If we had implicit parameters I could
totally eliminate unsafePerformIO from UniForM, which I would be very
glad to do.  Now all we need is to persuade Bill Gates to cough up a little
more money for Microsoft Research UK to fund this extension . . .