On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Fergus Henderson wrote:

> >     This is all fine and dandy if `currentSecond' is within `where'
> >     clause, because it will be always evaluated afresh.
>
> It might happen to work with current Haskell implementations,
> but I don't think there's any guarantee of that.

        Thanks Fergus for pointing this out. I was playing
        by ear: "Does it work in Hugs?"

        I rarely use (if ever) "unsafePerformIO" in any of my code,
        but this time the application demanded such a heavy usage
        of time stamps that a "lightweight" method of IO unwrapping
        seemed to be quite handy. It turned out not to be :-)

        Jan